The basic responsibility of the Council members is to exercise their best judgment and to act in a manner that they reasonably believe to be in the best interest of the University and its stakeholders. In discharging that obligation, the members should be entitled to rely on the honesty and integrity of the University Management, staff and its external professional advisors and auditors.
In furtherance of its responsibilities, the Council will:
- Determine the University mission, vision, purpose and core values;
- Review, evaluate and approve, on a regular basis, long-term plans for the University;
- Review, evaluate and approve the University budget and financial forecasts;
- Review, evaluate and approve major resource allocations and capital investments;
- Ensure that the procurement process is cost- effective and delivers value for money;
- Review and approve the operating and financial results of the University;
- Ensure effective, accurate, timely and transparent disclosure of pertinent information on the University operations and performance;
- Ensure that effective processes and systems of risk management and internal controls are in place;
- Review, evaluate and approve the overall organizational structure, the assignment of senior management responsibilities and plans for senior management development and succession;
- Review, evaluate and approve the remuneration structure of the University.
- Adopt, implement and monitor compliance with the organization’s code of conduct and ethics;
- Review on a quarterly basis the attainment of targets and objectives set out in the agreed performance measurement framework with the Government of Kenya;
- Review periodically the University strategic objectives and policies relating to sustainability and social responsibility/investment;
- Protect the rights of stakeholders and optimize shareholder value;
- Enhance the University public image and ensure engagement with stakeholders through effective communication;
- Monitor compliance with the Constitution , all applicable laws, regulations and standard; and
- Review, monitor and ensure that the organization is effectively and consistently delivering on its mandate.