Rongo University (RU), formerly Rongo University College is a public university and was awarded Charter to full fledge university by H.E. Hon. Uhuru Kenyatta, the President of the Republic of Kenya on 7th October 2016. The University derives its mandate from the Rongo University Charter of 7th October, 2016, which stipulates the objects and functions including teaching research and community service.
The University is strategically located at Kitere Hills situated in the South Western part of Kenya bordering Tanzania, in Rongo Sub-County, Migori County, Kenya. The University is 11 kilometres from Rongo Town, and 2.5 kilometres off Rongo– Migori- Highway. It is located in a gold mining and high Agricultural potential area. See Map
A world class technology driven University in learning and practice
To provide quality and innovative higher education through teaching, research and community service
- Social responsibility
Strategic Plan 2017-2022
The University has developed a 5-year Strategic Plan which guides its foundational establishment including: human resource, capital infrastructure, academic, research and extension programmes among others. The institution endeavours to be relevant in its environment while being cognizant to National aspirations.
- The completion of the 20 number academic block
- Construction of two twin science laboratories
- Expansion of library space and resources
- Extension of the administration block to create more office space
- Construction of 893 seating capacity multipurpose hall
- Construction of a University Clinic
- Enhanced recreational facilities including sporting fields and equipment
- Tarmacking of Kanga-Kitere road
- Security lighting
- Standby generators
- Construction of a 5-storey tuition block, which is almost complete
- Construction of a kitchen and cold room
- Mentoring 3 Technical Training Institutions in Mabera, Kandege and Kakrao.
- Construction of tuition blocks using EPS technology in Rongo town.
- Construction of water supply and treatment plant.
- Police post
- Construction of a 2,000-seater library
- Construction of the University Main Gate,
- Upgrading of the University ICT infrastructure and power supply.